or LinkedIn here https://uk.linkedin.com/in/tonysmiththathousingitguy
Increasingly I encounter more and more socialhousing organisations, looking to develop a tight digital strategy, in some cases building one with them. Pretty much all ask, how can we do this well? Who is doing this well, particularly in providing resident omni-channel and increasing channel shift and footfall to digital, rather than more traditional means?
We all see and are used to customer self-service. Daily I bet like me, you use Amazon, online Banking, supermarket and apps for booking travel & hotels. These set our expectations and for my money, this is where the bar is set. Don’t look to your supplier’s ‘out of the box’ systems, they in general look too much like your back-office solution. Strangely, none of the apps listed above, behave like something sat on a desk, near the water cooler.
Taking the dull, techie, logical components from your back office systems however, you can add sparkle and magic, with some web services, to get closer to a real world offering, your residents & customers are more likely to flock to.
Yarlington Housing Group is one forward thinking organisation, I have had the pleasure to have worked with, on a number of occasions. In my book, they tick that box of consistently strive to ‘Do it well’. So, let’s have a look at some of the top tips and silver bullets we can learn from an innovator such as this.
|Welcome to MyYarlington|
(2) Keep it simple (stupid). If you are a diverse go-ahead housing group (like these Somerset guys), use simple colourful disability-friendly icons/design to provide one click direction to your key digital footfall.
(3) Make it as easy as possible for customers to sign up or get on with what they need to do, as fast as practical. Using Hallnet’s solutions, The Torus Group customers manage to diagnose, request and (DRS) appoint a repair in an average of 90 seconds, which is quicker than over the phone. Slow or inefficient self-service will just drive your customers to your helpline. Not good!
(4) Size, or rather re-size is everything. I have blogged here about if apps are good, bad or essential. Reality is that most customer Smartphone's these days are in good wifi, 3G/4G coverage. A responsive website, which is still a breeze to use on say an iPhone4 or 5, may provide the flexibility of an app, at a fraction of the cost.
(5) Make your site work like Amazon, the Trainline or EasyJet. Get a familiar basket, to make it natural for customers to group requests together, or change their mind. Give them what they already are used to and understand. If they have to bother learning how to use your self-service, they just won’t ‘bother’, remember that.
(6) Ask your customers, ‘How was it for you’? When did you last do anything you were not asked to rate? Hotels you stay in, that Byron Burger, that Uber journey. On that last one, you rate the driver as well as them rating you! Understand what your customers like and dislike about your self-service and act on that valuable feedback.
|Don't forget the valuable feedback|
(8) Taking account of GDPR, think out of the box, by shaping online services around your customers. Yarlington and Hallnet have clearly applied some serious thought around this. Clearly back end systems need to support the good control of the tenant data journey, conforming to the legal principles of GDPR.
|Make selfservice GDPR ready|
(9) Do not assume with your self-service, if you build it, they (your customers that is) will come. Paradoxically, conventional methods such as quarterly updates, mailshots, mention on the service centre line, when call waiting (…did you know you can do most things online, instead of listening to Dire Straits here?). Yarlington are making full use of a launch brochure as well as digital classes. Borrow some clothes from the commercial world to oil the wheels of your customers channel-shift journey. ‘Digital Eagles’ anyone?
(10) Like in the garden of Eden, from day one, try to have all the ‘low hanging fruit’ on offer to tempt customers in. I.E. Tenant dashboard with notifications alerts, rules based content, privacy opt-ins, view and update personal details, Account section (current/future charges, fast statement generate for UC and other users), End-to-end repairs (‘real’ appointments, cancel, schedule, SMS reminders etc), messages, end tenancy request.
Yarlington who manage over 11k homes, aim to have 80% of transactions occurring online, with plans to reinvest substantial savings into property development and existing property renovation.
Stats from just the first fortnight are promising. 1100 signed up users, 1,650 account page views, 887 views of repair history, Repairs diagnosed and appointed: 200. If each phone call cost £3, it can be seen Yarlington will start to see some dramatic savings.
Chris Reed, who I have worked with on many occasions at Yarlington, was impressed with what has been achieved in a relatively short period. “Not only were Active Housing able to develop a fresh, intuitive and integrated customer portal, they were also extremely approachable and went the extra mile to ensure the project was delivered on time and to budget whilst meeting all our requirements.”
https://www.activehousing.co.uk/ or on 0800-023-9024. For HOMES they have a number of free passes. Grab one while you can!
Learn more about Yarlington Next-Gen here
Related Post: Got vacancies? Share them for free here...
|Catch the blog monthly archive at
I would be pleased to connect with you on LinkedIn - http://uk.linkedin.com/in/tonysmiththathousingitguy Message me with any issues or queries, you would like to be explored in this blog. We generally receive a couple of suggestions each month.
Supertramp – The Logical Song.
(c) Tony Smith, Acutance Consulting www.acutanceconsulting.co.uk 07854-655009
Access a quick list of our Social Housing ICT blog posts here
Could we help you or your organisation? Our contact details are here , get in touch we will be pleased to chat about your problems and help with your organisation issues.
File Under: 360,1stTouch,4Js. , 07854655009 ,365Agile," """" ",,#UKHousing,#HousingDAY, #HomesForBritain,#InternetOfTenants, #Shout,1st Touch,3squared,Accuserv,Acutence,Aareon,Academy,ActiveH,AirWatch,Alignment,ALMO,Anite,Apex,ArchHouse,Archouse,asbestos, Asprey e-state pro,ActiveHousing,Asset Management,Aurora,Average IT Costs,App,Associates,ACL,Abritas,AMS,AX,aspireview,Agile365, BO,BPR,Browser Applications,Business Objects,Business Planning, Business Process Review,Business social networking, Blockwise, Block wise,BI,BancTec,BluTek,Bluebox, Castle,CBL,Cedar Open Accounts,Cx,Change,Cheaper Housing IT,Chics, CHR,Citrix,Civica,Clearview,CMS , CCS IT Keystone CCSIT,Civica Genero,Contractor Systems,CORE,CorVu,Cost Reductions,Covalent,CRM,Crystal Reports,CTI,CTX,Customer Relationship Management,Cashflow, COA,Coactiva,Codeman,Comino,Competitive Dialogue process,complex IT procurements,Component Accounting, Community Reward Services, Consilium, Consolidation, Consultancy,Consultant,Contact Manager,Context,CIH,Chartered Institute Of Housing,Cadcorp,Cerrus Saturn,convergeOne,CACI,CPL, CRS Director, Deeplake,Development Systems,Accuserve,Document Management,Documotive,datasystems , Microsoft dynamics GP 2013, DynamicAI, Dynamic AI, ECMK,EDRMS,England, English,EnterpriseBI,ERP Systems,ERP,Elmhurst,Estatecraft,EDM,ESRI,Exponential-e, Finance, Financial Systems, Financials, Factorwise,Facebook ,Footprint,Fusion, Getting best from,gotonysmith, Grasp,Grip,GeoSolveIT,GIS,GGP,Genero,GCloud,G-Cloud,HouSys,Housing software,HFI (Housing Financials interface),HG,Housemark survey,Housing Blueprint,Housemark, HRA,housingtITguy,Housing Support Pro,HousingSupportPro,Housing Options,Hometeam, Housing Group,hotpixuk, HousingIT,hotpix,Hardware,Hitex,Housing Contact Company,housing predictive analytics, Impact Response,iPayPro,implementations,iRobot,In House,InHouse,In4,InMotion, InMotion2016, InMotion2015, InMotion2016 , Exhibition, conference,Housing Management Consultant,Housing Management Consultants, Infoflow,Information Technology,Informix,inHouse,in-house workforce,Information@Work components, Innovation,Inside Housing,Internet Portal,Internetalia,Information Management Server,IMS, Invu,Ireland,Irish,Inphase , IT Budget,IT Training,iWorld, Innovation Group Apex,ITIL, In4Systems Promaster,IT,Insight, iSupport,iSupportPro, Keylogic,Keystone,Kirona,Kypera,Keypera Hometeam,Keyfax,Ledgers,Linkedin,Locality,Liquid Voice,MD ,Mr Void , MrVoid, Measuring Change,Mebus,Miracle,MISCS,mDesign,mobile functionality,mobile platform,Monopoly board images and pictures, Montal,MS Dynamics,MS Dynamics CRM2011,Miracle Software,MDM,Management,CRM2013,Reporting,MI,M3,MIS,MIS-AMS,Mobysoft, Northgate Codeman,Neighbourhoods and Communities,NPS,NPS Housing,NPS CRM,NPS Job Manager Mobile, Northgate,Notice,NROSH,NINTEX,NINTEX workflow,Natural Forms,Nintexworkflow,NPS ASSIST, OA,OGC Buying Solutions,Ohms,OJEU Limits,OmFax,Omniledger,Open source software,open tender,OpenHousing,Opti-time,Oracle,Orchard,Optitime DRS,Outsource and outsourcing,OpenContractor,ORS,OneServe, PIMMS Data Systems, Paloma,performance management systems,PfH, Pick,PIMMS,pimms4communities, Planned maintenance,People Value,Plus, Peoplevalue, PM,Progress,Promaster,Proval,Pyramid,PRINCE2,prince,Pamwin,PlanForm, Propoints, Pro-Points,predictive analytics for housing, QL,QLX,Quiss,Qlikview, QueryView,Queryview reporting,Registered Providers,Registered Social Landlord,Rent Increase Freezes,Repairfinder,Reporting,Reports,ROCC,RobotAutomation,Rave Technologies (India) PVT Limited, Rocket,RPs,RSL,Reality,ReAct,reidmark,RM865, Saffron,SAP,Scots, "Social Housing IT",Social Housing ICT, Scottish,Scenario, Scotland,SDM,sector,TonySmithHou,Safron,Server Virtualisation,servicing, Servitor,Sharepoint, Simdel,Simdell,SimPro,Sim Pro,Slash and Burn,Social Media,Software,SQL Open Housing,SQL Reporting Services,SQL reporting services,SQL Server,Star rating,Stores and Stock,Strategic Asset Management,Sunguard ,Surveys,Sx3,System alignment,Symatrix Human Capital Management, TonySmithHousing, Systemwise,SM,Sequoa,Serros,SP,Scout,score,Swordfish,Serengeti,SOTI,southview,Sunguard,Service Charges,Spotlight Service, Spotlightservice, SunAccounts, Social Housing Software Applications, Template,Task,Terminal Services, tonys , tonysm , tonysmi , tonysmith, tonysmitht, gotonysmith, tableau Business Dashboards, tonysmithth, tonysmiththa, tonysmiththat, tonysmiththath, tonysmiththatho, tonysmiththathou, tonysmiththathous, tonysmiththathousi, tonysmiththathousin, tonysmiththathousing,Tony Smith That,Tony Smith That Housing IT Guy,TonySmith that housing IT, guy,tonysmiththathousing, tonysmiththathousinguy,tony smith housing guy,sharepoint, share point, SHBVN, Three Star,Today,Total repairs,Tribal,Twitter,U2, tonysmith , tonysmiththat , thathousing , thathousingIT , thathousingITguy, TED,Tagish Casework,TP Tracker,Telecetera,Tagra,Trace, Totalmobile, Total Mobile, UniClass Enterprise,Unidata,Universal Housing,Universalcredit, universal credit, universal credits,UC,Universe,Unrest, UK, United Kingdom ,Ukhousing,UK Housing, Van Stock,Voice and data,Vantage Sentinel,verse one,verseone,vWork,Version One,Visualmetrics,Voluntas, Wales,Welsh,Windows Server,Workflow and tasking,Wheatley,Works Connect,worksConnect, Xmbrace,XML ,XenApp,Xen App ..